Escola Superior de Comunicação Social, IPL
Abstract and key words of the research
After undertaking a more policy-oriented research on citizen engagement and information and communication technologies, Patrícia Dias da Silva’s work turned to participation practices making use of online video, both bottom-up and top-down. A special focus was given to the role of popular culture and humour in political discussion present on YouTube videos, where entertainment seems to play such an important role. As connected issues, Silva has also concentrated on e-democracy strategies and video activism studies. The researcher is currently turning her attention to digital rights, in particular the representation of freedom of expression in the online environment.
Key words : online video, public sphere, participation, remix, satire, e-democracy, digital rights, freedom of expression
Five most relevant publications
– (2014) “Le langage politique de YouTube: créativité et subversion,” in Proulx, Serge, José Luís Garcia and Lorna Heaton (ed.), La contribution dans l’univers des média numériques. Pratiques participatives à l’ère du capitalisme informationnel, Quebec: Presses de l’Université du Québec.
– (2012) “YouTubers as satirists: Humour and remix in online video,” eJournal of eDemocracy and Open Government, Special Issue Digital Citizenship and Activism: Questions of Power and Participation Online, Vol. 4 (1): 89-114. First author, second author: José Luís Garcia. Available at: http://www.jedem.org/article/view/95 ISSN 2075-9517.
– (2011) “Retrato Político e Estatístico da Sociedade da Informação: Portugal na Europa” [Political and statistical portrait of Information Society: Portugal in Europe], in Janus 2011-2012. Portugal num mundo em mudança, Lisbon: Público and UAL, pp. 12-3, 2011. ISBN: 978-989-619-221-1.
– (2008) “Possibilidades e Limites das TIC para a Literacia Cívica” [Possibilities and Limits of ICT for Civic Literacy], Revista Comunicação e Sociedade, special issue “Cidadania e novas literacias na era do digital”, vol. 14, pp.15-32. ISSN: 1645-2089.
– (2008) “A participação electrónica como uma nova relação entre Estado e cidadãos” [Electronic participation as a new relationship between State and citizens], in Associação Portuguesa de Sociologia (org.), VI Congresso Português de Sociologia “Mundos Sociais: saberes e práticas,” N.134, 25-27 June, FCSH-UNL, Lisbon: APS.