UFPR/Federal University of Parana (Brasil)
Abstract and key words of the research
My current research activities focus on the impacts of digital technologies in representative institutions and on the use of the internet/social networks by South America’s parliamentarian representatives. Currently, I am coordinating a research project financed by Brazil’s CNPq (National Scientific Research Council) entitled: Comparative perspective of political representation, parliamentarian elites and new technologies (2011-2015).
Currently I’m developing a post-doctoral research under the supervision of professor Stephen Coleman titled: “Comparative perspectives on political representation, parliamentarian elites and digital technology: the use of internet and social media as a tool of interaction by representatives in South America, USA and the United Kingdom” financed by Brazil’s (CAPES) Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Level -or Education- Personnel: http://www.capes.gov.br/
Five most relevant publications
– BRAGA, Sérgio; NICOLAS, Maria Alejandra and BECHER, André Roberto. Clientelism, internet and votes: personalism and constituency service in online campaigns for councilor elections in October 2008 in Brazil. Opin. Publica [online]. 2013, vol.19, n.1, pp. 168-197. ISSN 0104-6276. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0104-62762013000100008
– PERNA, A. ; BRAGA, Sérgio. The Invisible Side of Political Participation: E-Participation Mechanisms and Information Management in Latin American Parliaments.In: Mehmet Zahid Sobaci (University of Uludag, Turkey). (Org.). E-Parliament and ICT-Based Legislation: Concept, Experiences and Lessons. IGI Global, 2012. 237-257. Web. 6 Apr. 2012.
– BRAGA, Sérgio. Power, forms of domination and State in the dialogue between structural-marxism and american political sociology. Revista Brasileira de Ciência Política, v. 5, p. 81-107, 2011.
– BRAGA, Sérgio and NICOLAS, Maria Alejandra. Entrepeneurs, politics and the Web: mapping political activities in the web portals of the industry federation. Soc. estado. [online]. 2009, vol.24, n.2, pp. 439-490. ISSN 0102-6992. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0102-69922009000200005
– BRAGA, Sérgio Soares; FRANCA, Andressa Silvério Terra e NICOLAS, María Alejandra. Brazilian political parties and the internet: an evaluation of political party websites in Brazil. Rev. Sociol. Polit. [online]. 2009, vol.17, n.34, pp. 183-208. ISSN 0104-4478. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0104-44782009000300013